We Are Libertarians with Chris Spangle
About the Show
We are libertarians. We love politics and the news, and our mission is to apply libertarian principles to the stories you and your friends are discussing. We want to make you sound smarter while treating modern politics with all of the irreverence it deserves. We seek to teach individuals about the news of the day, the libertarian philosophy, the libertarian movement, and how to think differently. Our host is Chris Spangle, a fifteen year veteran of politics and media. He leads a discussion amongst friends that span the libertarian spectrum of thought. The twice-weekly podcast was founded in 2012.
We hold the following paradigms for our political analysis:
- First and Foremost, We Ask 'What Is Best For Liberty?" by embracing the following concepts:
• Individualism • Individual Rights • Spontaneous Order • Limited Government • Free Markets • The Virtue of Production • Natural Harmony of Interest • Peace
- All Contributions Towards Moving Society in This Direction are Valued
- The Golden Rule is the Foundational Principle Of a Libertarian Society
- Government Exists And Politics Will Not Cease In Our Lifetime
- We Are Libertarians Will Serve As an Entry Point into the Libertarian Movement
- We Believe in Presenting All Sides of An Issue To Let the Listener or Reader Make Up Their Minds
- Achieving Liberty is a Never-Ending Fight and Libertarians Must Invest in Future Generations
- Every Individual Can Make Societal Change
- We Embrace Complexity and Reject Tribalism
- We Treat Modern Politics With All of the Irreverence It Deserves Read more at WeAreLibertarians.com.
Where to Find Us:
• Our podcast airs Wednesdays and Fridays: https://wal.fireside.fm/
• Learn more about us at http://wearelibertarians.com/
• Snapchat/Twitter: WeRLibertarians
• IG/Facebook: WeAreLibertarians
• Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/wearelibertarians
• Join Our Email List: http://eepurl.com/sJ3Zb
• Join the Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Egss9XX
• Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wearelibertarians/
• Donate at Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/wearelibertarians
Disclaimer: This site and its content is not an endorsement of any political group, candidate, or party. All of the opinions are those of the individual author making the statement. The views of each contributor do not reflect the opinion of their employer or other contributors.
Interview: Gary Johnson
October 26th, 2013 | 21 mins 47 secs
Former Governor of New Mexico and 2012 LP Presidential candidate Gary Johnson joins us to discuss the NSA, the drug war, Rand Paul, Our America Initiative, and his future plans. About Our America Initiative After having served two successful terms as Governor of New Mexico and then having returned to private life, Gov. Gary Johnson.
63: Debt and Drama
October 19th, 2013 | 1 hr 45 mins
Chris, Greg, Gena, and Miah discuss the debt drama, the tyranny of the binary choices, and a question on bullying creates some drama of our own.
62: Is the Debt Ceiling a Big Deal?
October 12th, 2013 | 1 hr 50 mins
Chris, Greg, and Miah explain the debt ceiling and if October 17th means economic calamity, and then we answer your questions!
Interview: Julie Borowski
October 10th, 2013 | 14 mins 18 secs
We spent some time talking with Julie Borowski, sometimes know as TokenLibertarian Girl. By day Julie is a policy analyst for Freedomworks, and in her spare time, she makes fun, short videos that share the libertarian perspective on current events.
Interview: Lavabit Founder Ladar Levison
October 4th, 2013 | 27 mins 18 secs
Lavabit founder Ladar Levison tells us why he ended the Lavabit email/hosting service after the government demanded he turn over user information. He shares information on the NSA that will curl this audience’s toes. And donate to his fund here.
61: DC Chase, Shutdown, and an ACA Exchanges Primer
October 3rd, 2013 | 1 hr 57 mins
Chris, Greg, Miah, and Chris Peffers discuss the DC car chase, the winners, and losers, of a shutdown, and we give a primer on what the Obamacare exchanges actually do. And then things descend into minarchy… Errr, anarchy.
60: Cruz, Obamacare, Iran
September 28th, 2013 | 1 hr 32 mins
Chris and Greg field phone calls for the first time with the help of Ryan Ripley and Creighton. We discuss the success or failure of the Cruz filibuster, the government shutdown, the reasons libertarians opposed Obamacare philosophically, and what's up with Iran?
Shill Report 14: Noam Chomsky, Coverage of Cruz and the Future of Journalism
September 28th, 2013 | 1 hr 5 mins
Ryan, Joe and Chris interview Noam Chomsky on linguistics, propaganda, terrorism, American foreign policy, and his view on modern libertarianism. We then talk about the media’s slant on the government shutdown and the future of journalism.
Shill Report 13: How to Make News, Op-Ed Pages
September 22nd, 2013 | 59 mins 40 secs
Ryan, Joe and Chris discuss how they made the Ron Paul interview go viral, do we care what celebrities think, and the duty of op-ed pages.
Shill Report 12: Jeffrey Tucker
September 14th, 2013 | 1 hr 27 mins
Jeffrey Tucker of Laissez Faire Books joins us to discuss the digital revolution in publishing, the history of Mises.org, the future of knowledge, and the importance of internet freedom in an age of crumbling institutions.
59: Forget Bush, It’s Woodrow Wilson’s Fault
September 13th, 2013 | 1 hr 49 mins
In an episode loaded with history, Chris, Greg and Gena discuss Syria and it’s significance to Al Qaeda, and why Woodrow Wilson’s progressive ideology still affect us now.
Shill Report 11: Ron Paul!
September 7th, 2013 | 1 hr 28 secs
This week, we interview Ron Paul! He discussed Syria, the media’s mistreatment of him to attack Rand, and the future of liberty!
58: Ron Paul Interview and the History of Interventionism
September 6th, 2013 | 2 hrs 9 mins
We begin with an interview that Chris, Joe Ruiz, and Ryan Ripley did with Ron Paul in advance of his trip to Indiana on Tuesday evening. Then Chris, Greg, Miah, and Chris Peffers discuss the history of interventions, what it means for Syria, and what the libertarian movement looks like because of Ron Paul's legacy.
Interview: Ron Paul on Rand Paul
September 6th, 2013 | 15 mins 18 secs
The former Congressman joins us. Hear Ron Paul on Rand Paul, discussed Syria, and the future of liberty.